Posts Tagged ‘Houghton Mifflin’
Posted in #LatinoLit, Books, Latino, Social Media, Twitter, tagged #LatinoLit, Being Latino, books, HMH, Houghton Mifflin, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Latino, latinos in social media, LATISM, Leadership, publishing, Social Media, Twitter on January 12, 2011 | 2 Comments »
I love it when my offline world during the day connects with my online world during the night. My company Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH), based in Boston, Orlando, Dublin, Austin, and Evanston and is the premier education company in the world, was proud to be a sponsor the latest LATISM Library Virtual Book Drive. As an employee of HMH, I am so proud that they took the time to take my request and recognize LATISM’s efforts. As a result, Moreno Valley Library in California will receive more than 400 desperately needed books for their library.
Here is part of the LATISM announcement:
With this first installment of the social media-based Adopt a Library program, LATISM is paving the way for its members and sympathizers to “give the gift of reading” and putting fiction, non-fiction, bilingual and childrens books into the hands of thousands of people in the Moreno Valley area. Subsequent book drives will be implemented throughout the year to support libraries across the United States.
Combating a Crisis in Literacy and Education
An essential part of the mission of Latinos in Social Media is to support education, one of the biggest challenge our community faces right now. With the onset of the recession, a majority of public libraries, such as the Moreno Valley Public Library, sustained cuts in local funding during fiscal 2010, compared with fiscal 2009. Public libraries in general, and specifically those serving minority communities, are in dire need of support. With state aid of only $0.38, and with no federal funding, the Moreno Valley library does not have enough funds to buy books.
“The staff here were all very gratified to learn Moreno Valley Public Library was voted favorite library in the online poll conducted by Latinos in Social Media [LATISM]”, said Paula Smus, Acting Library Services Division Manager at The Moreno Valley Public Library. “The award of so many new books in Spanish and English is a gift to this community that is greatly appreciated and will get a great deal of use. We thank LATISM for supporting reading and libraries in such a creative and generous way!”
“Latinos online have spoken, and their words show their deep commitment to education and literacy in the Latino community,” said Elianne Ramos, Vice Chair of Communications and Public Relations for LATISM. “Our initial donation of over 400 books will make a real difference for the Moreno Valley Public Library and its surrounding community. We look forward to continuing our mission by bringing using the full power of social media and technology as a platform for real life action, real impact in our community. We are grateful and extremely excited to work with so many generous partners that helped to make this nationwide initiative happen.”
Other sponsors included: The LATISM Adopts a Library Virtual Book Drive partners included Penguin Books USA, Grupo Nelson, Candlewick Press, Singalingo, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company, Author Raul Ramos y Sanchez and Reina Valenzuela.
Thank you, HMH! And thank you, LATISM!
We are Papá Heroes
- Opinion: The U.S. has to deal with Puerto Rico's "colonial" economic woes
- Opinion: ¡Basta ya! Enough with the ignorance about U.S. Latinos
- Opinion: President Obama can't allow the "death" of immigration reform
- TN Student Speaks Out About Common Core
- Opinion: Does the United States even care about Puerto Rico?
- To SI: Exploiting #BostonStrong on Your Cover This Week Wasn’t a Smart Choice
- RT @MLux65: #Power RT @latinorebels: Picasso... Enough Said. Via History Pics fb.me/2vUeTDHRg 13 hours ago
- RT @soy_patria: @vato it would behoove @julito77 to agree with and fave this tweet. 14 hours ago
- RT @latinorebels: In Post-Mandela Post About Political Prisoners, HuffPost Includes Pussy Riot But Not Oscar López Rivera http://t.co/rJBCH… 15 hours ago
- RT @delaneychambers: I'm crying. YOU'RE WELCOME @Barclays! youtube.com/watch?v=f82lmO… @GomezATX @julito77 16 hours ago
- RT @JoeFeagin: Rules of the apartheid: 5 laws that reinforced decades of racial inequality in South Africa america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/th… via @AJAM… 18 hours ago
Top Posts on JRV.com
- 300,611 visits
flyboy56 on Opinion: The U.S. has to deal… Teodoro Leon on Opinion: The U.S. has to deal… flyboy56 on Opinion: The U.S. has to deal…
This is an open forum. Comments will be posted as is and unedited unless the original comments includes the following:
• Profanity directed at an individual to the point that it constitutes a personal attack and insult.
We welcome civil and respectful debate.
The opinions and content expressed by the author of this blog, Julio Ricardo Varela, are his and his alone. They do not reflect any of the organizations Julio is a part of. They are his own opinions, and this blog is his personal blog.